Slap (2015, Nick Rowland)
I really enjoyed Slap purely because of the raw intensity of the drama. It was unapologetic with its themes of identity and conflict within Connor's own identity, as well as the actions and reactions, though not necessarily right, of his friends who find out. The use of music and composition throughout was particularly impressive. One moment which sticks out for me is when Connor is walking down the centre of the road, wearing makeup and a dress, and there is a crescendo of rock-sounding music bruising up until he is inside where the party is being held. I thought this was really effective because it conveyed his sense of confidence so clearly to the audience, and how fragile that confidence was as the music completely fades as his friends start to mock him.
I think the theme of identity throughout the film was strongly portrayed in a non-cliche way. When dealing with sensitive subject matters like this, it can be so easy for it to come across to audiences as trying too hard or not trying hard enough. Slap was able to get the perfect balance, and I think that comes down to the harsh juxtaposition between the femininity of Connor's 'secret', and the masculinity of his boxing career. When he is shown in the ring, a hand-held camera is used. The camerawork is shaky and quickly-edited together, nothing is focused on too heavily until we meet Connor's girlfriend, where it is there relationship which audiences are drawn to pay attention to. When Connor is in his room, we are shown a lot of 'mirror shots', there are many instances where the camera lingers on Connor looking at himself in a mirror - particularly a broken mirror in one shot - showing him at his most vulnerable. The stillness of these shots again helps to reinforce that divide, and particularly his inner conflict, between masculine and feminine.
From this film, I would most like to take that strong element of divide between a character and their battle with who they are. I think the thing that worked best in this film was how obvious the difference between Connor in the ring and Connor doing what "feels right" was. This helped create a really strong sense of character in a short space of time, and for a short film focusing heavily on one person, I think this difference was crucial in making the film so emotive. The only thing missing was some form of character resolution; do his friends ever accept Connor's 'secret'? Does Connor completely reject that part of him, or does he continue? There are a few enigmas left, but that is all part of what a short film is; you have to leave some things to audience interpretation.
I think the theme of identity throughout the film was strongly portrayed in a non-cliche way. When dealing with sensitive subject matters like this, it can be so easy for it to come across to audiences as trying too hard or not trying hard enough. Slap was able to get the perfect balance, and I think that comes down to the harsh juxtaposition between the femininity of Connor's 'secret', and the masculinity of his boxing career. When he is shown in the ring, a hand-held camera is used. The camerawork is shaky and quickly-edited together, nothing is focused on too heavily until we meet Connor's girlfriend, where it is there relationship which audiences are drawn to pay attention to. When Connor is in his room, we are shown a lot of 'mirror shots', there are many instances where the camera lingers on Connor looking at himself in a mirror - particularly a broken mirror in one shot - showing him at his most vulnerable. The stillness of these shots again helps to reinforce that divide, and particularly his inner conflict, between masculine and feminine.
From this film, I would most like to take that strong element of divide between a character and their battle with who they are. I think the thing that worked best in this film was how obvious the difference between Connor in the ring and Connor doing what "feels right" was. This helped create a really strong sense of character in a short space of time, and for a short film focusing heavily on one person, I think this difference was crucial in making the film so emotive. The only thing missing was some form of character resolution; do his friends ever accept Connor's 'secret'? Does Connor completely reject that part of him, or does he continue? There are a few enigmas left, but that is all part of what a short film is; you have to leave some things to audience interpretation.
Comments
Post a Comment