About Me
My Film Favourites
My favourite film of all time is Spice World, the Spice Girls movie. As a film student I can appreciate how ridiculous this sounds, but it is fun, musical and features Victoria Beckham - what more could you want? I also love a good rom-com, the Bridget Jones films, Notting Hill, Mamma Mia...anything feel-good is a winner for me. Some of my favourite films that are a little less cliché would include The Breakfast Club, Little Miss Sunshine and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The performances from the actors in these films, particularly Judd Nelson and Tim Curry, stick with me and remind me how good 'real' cinema can be. On the subject of 'real' cinema I recently watched The Wolf of Wall Street and was blown away by how well-produced it was, particularly the cinematography and performances by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill. Hill's portrayal as a cut-throat Wall Street stock broker was so impressive to me, especially for somebody who's most well-known performances are in films like 21 Jump Street, Superbad and This is the End. I also recently watched Rocketman in the cinema and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Everything about the production, performance, and costuming was faultless, it was incredible how much Taron Egerton could pull off being Elton John, how camp he was able to act, all while maintaining a very chilled out and effortlessly cool persona.
Speaking of This is the End, I also really love James Franco. One of his films that really sticks with me is 127 Hours, the 'based on a true story' narrative following a rock climber who becomes stuck between two boulders. The cinematography of the film is really impressive and intimate, especially considering the majority of the film was solely Franco. As well as Franco, other actors' repertoires I tend to enjoy are Hugh Grant, Lily James and Paul Rudd and Colin Firth. I'm definitely bias to liking a film because I like the actors rather than because it is a good film!
Some writers and directors who I really appreciate are Richard Curtis and Taika Waititi. I love how Curtis knows what he does and knows how to do it well, and I love the way in which Waititi has mastered and found the perfect balance to happy-sad cinema.
My favourite film of all time is Spice World, the Spice Girls movie. As a film student I can appreciate how ridiculous this sounds, but it is fun, musical and features Victoria Beckham - what more could you want? I also love a good rom-com, the Bridget Jones films, Notting Hill, Mamma Mia...anything feel-good is a winner for me. Some of my favourite films that are a little less cliché would include The Breakfast Club, Little Miss Sunshine and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The performances from the actors in these films, particularly Judd Nelson and Tim Curry, stick with me and remind me how good 'real' cinema can be. On the subject of 'real' cinema I recently watched The Wolf of Wall Street and was blown away by how well-produced it was, particularly the cinematography and performances by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill. Hill's portrayal as a cut-throat Wall Street stock broker was so impressive to me, especially for somebody who's most well-known performances are in films like 21 Jump Street, Superbad and This is the End. I also recently watched Rocketman in the cinema and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Everything about the production, performance, and costuming was faultless, it was incredible how much Taron Egerton could pull off being Elton John, how camp he was able to act, all while maintaining a very chilled out and effortlessly cool persona.
Speaking of This is the End, I also really love James Franco. One of his films that really sticks with me is 127 Hours, the 'based on a true story' narrative following a rock climber who becomes stuck between two boulders. The cinematography of the film is really impressive and intimate, especially considering the majority of the film was solely Franco. As well as Franco, other actors' repertoires I tend to enjoy are Hugh Grant, Lily James and Paul Rudd and Colin Firth. I'm definitely bias to liking a film because I like the actors rather than because it is a good film!
Some writers and directors who I really appreciate are Richard Curtis and Taika Waititi. I love how Curtis knows what he does and knows how to do it well, and I love the way in which Waititi has mastered and found the perfect balance to happy-sad cinema.
Great post, Mia. Like your choice of image! I am with you on 'Rocketman' - I thought it was more brilliant way than the'Bohemian Rhapsody', and I loved the way it was so like Elton John. Taron Everton deserved way more praise for his performance than he got.
ReplyDelete