Talk by Neil
The talk by Neil, ex-Hills Road film studies student, was valuable as it gave us an insight into what an A-grade piece of coursework looked like. Neil chose to do a short film, with his being a horror. A girl is mysteriously bleeding from her cheek and cannot seem to get rid of the blood. It disappears, only for it to shortly reappear only this time with more blood, and in turn, more panic. Eventually there is a mirror jump-scare of a bloodied figure and the short film ends on a cliffhanger of what happened to the girl.
I thought the film was good as it did not try to pack in too much within the 4-5 minute time allowance. The plot was simple, but effective and engaging.
The talk was also useful, as, alongside Ryd Cook, Neil explained techniques that made planning, writing and shooting the short film easier. These included creating shooting schedules, shot lists and storyboarding.
Some things I would take away from these talks are the use of planning documents. I would also consider the plot of my screenplay; how am I going to tell the sorry I want to tell, how will I do this within 10 pages and how will I do it in a way that is not overcrowding, but still enough to engage a viewer? I will also need to consider explanations of the environment in which it is set, without using camera angles or camera movements.
I thought the film was good as it did not try to pack in too much within the 4-5 minute time allowance. The plot was simple, but effective and engaging.
The talk was also useful, as, alongside Ryd Cook, Neil explained techniques that made planning, writing and shooting the short film easier. These included creating shooting schedules, shot lists and storyboarding.
Some things I would take away from these talks are the use of planning documents. I would also consider the plot of my screenplay; how am I going to tell the sorry I want to tell, how will I do this within 10 pages and how will I do it in a way that is not overcrowding, but still enough to engage a viewer? I will also need to consider explanations of the environment in which it is set, without using camera angles or camera movements.
Comments
Post a Comment