Talk by Ryd Cook

Ryd Cook came to speak to us about the planning, shooting and production of a short film, giving us the example of his 2016 film Single to London, winner of Best International Film at the Toronto Smartphone Film Festival. He made heavy reference to the fact that shooting a short film didn't have to be done with a professional camera, either. That in fact you can use an iPhone, and still come out with a quality picture. Single to London was shot using an iPhone 6+ and the Filmic Pro app.

This talk gave us insight into how to best plan the production of a short film, including storyboarding, shot-listing, shooting schedules and post-production tips. He gave us a good heads up about casting your actors; making sure you will be able to shoot the whole film with consistency - e.g. they are reliable, and they won't cut their hair mid-way through shooting. He also informed us that while colour should be considered, it is not vital in the pre-production, nor the shooting phase. It is easier and will often turn out with must more constancy if you colour correct in post production.

This talk was useful as I previously had not considered doing a shooting schedule or shotlist, as I had chosen to do a digital storyboard instead of a short film. However, I think that in doing these things it saved me a lot of time in production. I had already planned out the shots I wanted to do, so all I had to do was take the photographs and choose the best versions in post. I then edited the photos using a mix of Photoshop and Mac Preview to gain the grey, muted colour, similar to what I wanted to achieve in reference to The Arrival.

Comments

Popular Posts